By George Tzanatos, Philip Panagotou, Dimitris Maroudas & Fotis Trihas
The Wembley “Curse”
1929-1930: Leicester city finished 2nd in the league, which was its best place until the miraculous season.
1948-1949: The “curse” of Wembley started by losing the FA cup final against Wolves.
1961, 1963, 1969: Leicester lost again the FA Cup Final against Spurs, Manchester United and Manchester City respectively.
But , the curse continues…
2013: EFL CHAMPIONSHIP 2012-2013 SEMI FINALS PLAY-OFFS: (Leicester Fc vs Watford Fc)
Leicester awarded a late penalty and they had a chance to score and qualify in the final with many chances of getting promoted to the Premier League but they didn’t grab the chance and they conceded a goal in the last minute.
By pressing this link you can see the last minutes of this match.
The Miracle before the miracle
- Premier League 2014-2015:The season before being awarded the championship Leicester was a step away from relegation with just 19 points in the first 29 games. Only a wonder could save them….. They had to gain more points that they already have. And they did it. In the last 9 games they achieved to win 22 points with 7 wins in a row and a draw.
One of the biggest achievements in football’s history
Premier League 2015-2016: Leicester at august 2015 hired Claudio Ranieri (the former coach of Greek national team) with the aim to stay in the Premier Laegue. As Ranieri acclaimed, in the pre-season press conference, “ Our goal is to reach 40 points. ”
Despite the tough competition in the best league in Europe, things escalated better than the most optimistic supporter could imagine. Leicester made a magic start to the season and they were hunting, through big wins out of the blue, the 1st spot. In the end of the first round after 19 matches they were positioned 2nd with the same points as Arsenal who was first.
In the second round of the Premier League the dream continues as Leicester makes a winning streak that secures them a spot in the best competition of Europe, the UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. Leicester continues their tremendous performances against top clubs such as Manchester City and Tottenham.
After a couple of stressful matches the team accomplishes to remain in the first place and it only needs 2 points to win the title. The most crucial match for Leicester that season was the match between Chelsea and Tottenham at Stanford Bridge where it ended to a draw (2-2).
Leicester Fc has won the Premier League.
The Best Players
- Jamie Vardy: The top scorer of Leicester scoring 24 goals and breaking the record for scoring goals in 11 consecutive matches!
- Riyad Mahrez: The pulling force of Leicester’s attack scoring 17 goals and sharing 11 assists.
- N’golo Kante: He made a superb season doing everything on the pitch.
- Kasper Schmeichel: The defensive “wall” keeping 15 clean sheets.
- The former president of Leicester City Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha died last October in a helicopter crash outside the King Power Stadium.
Greek television documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5Y2g7LYifw
Official Premier League Website Premierleague.com